Okay, dads. Some of you are already the favorites, and that’s great. But some of you live in untenable conditions where mom is the favorite. Here are your weapons and your warpath:
- Sugar. Yes, that’s right, sugar. This is the most potent weapon in your arsenal, and feel free to use it anytime you feel like you are losing ground. Whatever you do, DO NOT RETREAT. Mom was getting more hugs today? The little one only wanted mommy to take her to the park and play on the swings? Pull out some chocolate ice cream. Add sprinkles. Mom said no? Even better! You’re the hero with the ice cream scoop.
- Toys. Mom thinks that your two year old absolutely doesn’t need a third tricycle? You know who’s going to be in your kid’s good books and who will be on the naughty list when you come home with it anyway.
- Day trips. Yes, sure, the kid is supposed to have nap time. Yes, yes, it’s a school day. Blah, blah, blah. An unexpected trip to the zoo with daddy and grandma. Yup. You win.
- Clothes. Oh, that perfect little outfit that looks oh so cute? Pfff. The little one wants to go out in a super hero costume and pretend she’s out to save the day? Guess what, now you’re her superhero.
- Bedtime. You can’t really expect the little tyke to sleep after a day of sugar and excitement, can you? It’s story time, again, and again, and again. But at the end of the day, mission accomplished.